NTCG Kids Foundation Scripture
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith and your purity.1st Timothy 4:12 (NLT)
Black History Month
The Windrush Project
This October we would like your kids to help collate and share Windrush stories from their church, families and communities. The Windrush generation are people who arrived in the UK between 1948-1971 from Caribbean countries.
During World War II the British government invited men, women and children from the Caribbean to come to England and help rebuild the country and fill post-war UK labour shortages. The Empire Windrush was a passenger ship that brought the first large group of West Indian immigrants to Britain; it docked at Tilbury Docks in Essex on June 22nd 1948.
We are asking children aged 4-12 to talk with people from the Windrush Generation in their church, family or community and ask them questions about their experience migrating to England. They can share the stories in a number of ways, e.g.
- create a poster with pictures and writing
- create a PowerPoint presentation
- write a poem or song
- create a dance depicting the journey
- create a short film
We want the children to use their creativity to share these stories to the best of their ability. The best submissions will be shared online for others to view.
Submission deadline is Friday 29th October 2021. Please email submissions to email@example.com or upload to the link provided to your youth and children's workers.
Below are some questions and resources to help get them started:
- How did you travel to the UK?
- How did you feel about taking the trip?
- What work did you do when you arrived in England?
- What were the biggest differences between life in the UK and life in the Caribbean?
- Did you travel with anyone knew?
- What did you like best/least about England?
- What did you miss most about the Caribbean?
- If you could rewind time would you do it again?
- Activity Village - template worksheet and activity sheet ideas
- Twinkl - template worksheet and activity sheet ideas
- Reading Museum - Windrush learning resources KS2 & KS3
- Royal Museums Greenwich - information about Windrush (past and present), includes a few book recommendations
You can access all of our online content below